Republic of Texas Museum Updates
For the last 10 years, the Republic of Texas Museum has sponsored four art contests in all 10 DRT districts. The contests include:
- Elementary school students art contest
- Middle school students art contest
- PowerPoint computer contest for middle and high school students
- Adult original artwork contest
The purpose of each contest is to document Texas historical sites, events, activities and individual(s) in the various Texas districts during the days prior to 1850. Cash prizes are awarded to the first three winners in each category from each district. Entries should be mailed or delivered to the museum no later than December 12, 2016. For more information on contest details and prizes, visit http://www.drtinfo.org/education/art-contests.
In other news, the Museum Committee is sponsoring the 3rd Annual Symposium, which will be held on February 23 at the Texas State Cemetery Gallery. The event will include:
- Book discussion with author Dr. James Bruseth: From a Watery Grave: The Discovery and Excavation of La Salle’s Shipwreck, La Belle
- Al McGraw will speak on the Battle of Medina, where he has spent many hours as an archaeologist.
- Book discussion with author Dr. Greg Dimmick: Sea of Mud: The Retreat of the Mexican Army After San Jacinto, An Archeological Investigation
Mark your calendars — ticket purchasing information coming soon.
Visit the museum at 510 East Anderson Lane in Austin, Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.